domingo, 22 de enero de 2012

Dodger Project










Here's my new dodger on its way.. After five years of studying and planning, finally got the materials, selected the right design and started working on it. Several tips were provided by several sailors, and specially from other C38 owners.
My needs called for a "coastal dodger", something to avoid the hot and damaging UV rays and rain, from coming through the huge companionway opening on the C38. Looking back from the bow, I wanted it to follow the lines of the deck, but that will take some room inside the dodger, so I started by placing the frame mounts on each side of the cabin, instead of the top. This way, I can turn the 8" winch handle without any obstructions. The same principle was applied to the side curtains, the primaries 10" winch handles had to rotate freely but getting rid of the sides were out of question. The final aproach was making a curtain with enough gap in the middle between the winch and the dodger that still brings some protection. At 6', I consider myself a tall person, so the tallest the dodger, the better! The total height of the dodger is 64". One inch taller, and the boom will kiss the dodger top.

No hay comentarios: